Saturday, January 17, 2015

Eggs Carbonara


I caught a little bit of flack from my brother recently for not updating my blog often enough and fair enough.  I will do a better job.  Thanks Michael for the kick in the ass.

Not to toot my own horn but I am coming back with a vengeance with this recipe.  It is a killer breakfast.  This is not your light and healthy delight, this is your rich and decadent, once in awhile, treat you and your significant other right, sort of breakfast.  This recipe is based on Spaghetti Carbonara which is one of my favorite pasta dishes and could not be any easier.  If you never had it, do yourself a favor and put it on the 'To Do' list; it is a creamy egg sauce with sautéed onions and bacon all tossed together with lots of black pepper.  This recipe has very few ingredients and could not be easier or more delicious.

Just a note about eggs.  I fully understand the benefits of organic everything, and do my best to buy it when I can, but honestly I can't afford it across the board.  Eggs are one of those things where organic and cage-free really does matter.  There is a great book by Wini Abramson, One Simple Change, where she discusses the benefits and nutrition surrounding eggs. It totally convinced me. Checking out her article on the topic is totally worth it.


Ingredients

1/2 onion, chopped
5 slices of bacon, sliced (I use low-sodium, just to have a little control over the salt content)
6 eggs
Splash of milk
Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper

How you do it…

1. Place bacon in a frying pan and start the burner on medium-low heat, after the bacons has started to render a little bit of its fat (1-2minutes), add the onions and a healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper.

2.  Cook these low and slow, stirring often, until the onions are soft and translucent and the bacon is crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk your eggs in a bowl with the milk until they get frothy (little bubbles on top).  Put some elbow grease into the whisking process, getting some air into those eggs will make them fluffy in the end. Season with salt and pepper.

4. With your heat still on medium-low, add the eggs to the pan (there should still be some bacon grease left in the pan). With a wooden spoon, start to gently pull the eggs into the center from the edge of the pan.
5.  When the eggs are a little more than half done, add your bacon, onion mixture and start folding in.  
Continue to cook the eggs as explained in the previous step.  Towards the end, grate as much or as little parmesan cheese into the eggs as you desire and more black pepper to taste. These eggs are done when the egg is no longer runny but still moist. 

I served these eggs with just simple buttered toast. I would also recommend some fruit, this dish is rich and the fruit balances it out nicely. 

Thank God for the weekends. Don't forget to treat yourself nice and enjoy!

1 comment: