Friday, January 3, 2014

Snow Day Sweet Potato Hash with Poached Eggs

Happy 2014!  

It has been quite sometime since my last post, but I promise I will be a better blogger this year.

So New York got eight inches of snow last night and I am a very happy to say today I had a snow day. I woke up this morning to a winter wonderland outside and an aching to make some eggs and hash inside.  I have never made hash before and I have never poached an egg before, so this morning was a bit of an adventure.  This was also a 'kitchen sink' sort of recipe, i used what I had around the kitchen and it turned out delicious!



What you need...

1 Sweet Potato, Peeled and Chopped
1 Small Apple, Peeled and Chopped
1 Bell Pepper, Chopped
4-5 pieces of Turkey Bacon, cut into small pieces
2 Eggs/per person
1-2 Tablespoons Butter
Olive oil
Salt + Pepper
Cinnamon
Chili Powder
Paprika
Red Pepper Flake


What to do....

1. Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan and add sweet potatoes. Cook until fork tender and then drain.

2.  In a large çast iron skillet over medium high heat, sauté peppers and turkey bacon in olive oil.  ( I added some onion powder at this point but if you have a real onion, add it now).  After these have cooked for a 3-4 minutes add the apples.  Season everything with salt and pepper.

3.  Once the potatoes are done cooking add them into the pepper, bacon, apple mix with the butter. Add  chili powder, red pepper flake, paprika and just a dash of cinnamon. Let cook for another 5 minutes and use a wooden spoon to break up the potatoes to really give it that hash texture.

5.  At this point it is time to make the eggs.  I learned from  Smitten Kitchen Poached Eggs  and it worked out great!


6.  Serve the eggs on top of the hash and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment